Clean Currents and Solar States partner to give schools greater access to renewable energy
(PHILADELPHIA, PA, September 3, 2013) — Today, Clean Currents and Solar States announce a joint program to bring solar power and renewable energy education to Philadelphia schools at no upfront cost. Through the Philadelphia Solar Schools Initiative (PSSI) starting in mid-2014, the two companies will provide a package deal of solar panels, renewable energy courses for students, and wind power for their remaining electricity needs to twenty area schools.
PSSI will allow schools to go solar for no upfront cost through a Solar States Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). The panels will provide about 30% of each school’s electricity use, with the remaining 70% sourced through Clean Currents’ wind power. In total, PSSI’s goal is to install 1.5 Megawatts of solar power on area schools.
“The Philadelphia Solar Schools Initiative makes solar power accessible to schools that would not necessarily be able to install solar panels otherwise,” says Micah Gold-Markel, founder of Solar States. “With PSSI, it’s easy for schools to reduce their environmental impact and empower the future generation with hands on access to and knowledge about clean power.”
Additionally, Clean Currents will offer a new electricity option that will directly support PSSI: a 100% Pennsylvania clean energy mix, tentatively titled “Neighborhood Green,” which will be a mix of local wind and solar from the roofs of the PSSI schools. Residents and businesses that choose this product will be helping to support the PSSI.
The first step in the program starts this month. Solar States and Clean Currents are partnering with YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School to create an innovative yearlong course focusing on the vocation and business of solar energy. The students will assist the development, design, and installation of arrays at the twenty schools.
“Not only is PSSI a great program that helps schools take advantage of renewable energy, but through our new electricity option, we also created an avenue for the community to support the initiative,” notes Gary Skulnik, Clean Currents President. “Building the connection between participating schools and their community makes PSSI an even more powerful program.”
PSSI will begin installing solar panels and Clean Currents’ new electricity option will be available in mid-2014.
About Clean Currents
Clean Currents is the Mid-Atlantic’s leading, independent green energy company, supplying both national and local Green-e Energy certified wind power through the grid to residences and businesses. Since its founding in 2005, Clean Currents has helped over 12,000 residential and 1,500 commercial customers across Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Pennsylvania switch to wind power. Clean Currents is a registered Benefit LLC and a certified B-Corporation. www.cleancurrents.com
About Solar States
Solar States was founded in 2008 to combine solar installation and education. The company develops, finances, and operates solar arrays on commercial, school, and residential rooftops. Soon after its founding, Solar States installed one of the largest rooftop solar arrays in the city of Philadelphia at that time. www.solar-states.com